Friday, February 20, 2009

Here's a Green and Cost-effective Idea

Kid-to-Kid Consignment store, Apex, NC

I have to admit, I hadn't thought much about consigning my Kidz clothes.  Usually my older daughter's things go to her cousin, and her cousin's things come back to my younger one.  It's a wonderful way to get maximum use out of quickly-outgrown clothes.  After all, Reuse is one of the 3 Rs--that is, the 3 green Rs--Recycle, Reduce, Reuse.  

Consignment stores are a great alternative to traditional mall shopping; area momz take their kidz outgrown clothes, shoes, and gear--including maternity wear--and the store puts them on their racks.  The store keeps a portion of the sales price and and the customer takes her portion in cash or store credit (at my local Kid-to-Kid store, store credit is 20% more than the cash portion I'd get).

Stores usually take clothes seasonally--for example, right now my nearest shop is taking spring and summer clothes.  So now would be a great time for a quick check to see whether last year's summer and spring togs will fit this year; if not, try taking them into a consignment shop! It beats having them in the attic, and in these tough times, second hand is not just greenwise, it's moneywise.

No comments: