Monday, March 2, 2009

Recipes for a Snowstorm, Part 1



I never imagined I'd be writing about a snowstorm in March from my southern haven, but I am! Of course, we only got a couple of inches here, but it's more than enough to make for a snow day for the Kidz, who were thrilled!

One of the first things we did after breakfast was send the Kidz out into the tundra to gather snow for snow ice cream, a treat I fondly recall from my own Virginia childhood. It's incredibly easy to make and incredibly delicious. Here's the recipe:

Snow (oh, about a gallon; not the yellow stuff)
milk or cream(a cup; keep it out to add more to taste)
sugar, agave nectar, or stevia (I used about a cup of organic cane sugar)
2 TBS maple syrup or 1 TBSP vanilla

I divided my snow into 2 bowls and added 1/2 cup cream to each; I then put about 2/3 cup sugar in one with vanilla; I added 1/3 cup sugar and maple syrup to the other. After stirring them well I divvied them up in pretty antique bowls for the kidz. The pretty bowls were, of course, lost on them completely, but they sure gobbled up the snow cream and came back for more!

No snow storm, no matter how wimpy, is complete without it.

No comments: