Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recipes for a Snowstorm, Part 2

Trader Joe's 17 Bean and Barley Soup mix and Nachos.
(Want more on Trader Joe's frozen foods and all foods frozen? Check out Freezerburns.com, a vlog by Gregory Ng, the Frozen Food Master.)

Dear Trader Joe,

I write to confess my love to you. I know, perhaps I should be ashamed to do so, as I am a married woman, but this is no ordinary love. This is not even an affair of the heart, a la Maddonna and A-Rod. This is an affair of the stomach. Joe, from your frozen dinners to your all natural Whoopie Pies to your 17 bean and barley soup, I adore you.

Of course, being a woman and you being a (albeit fictional marketing tool) man, I do feel the need to change you to suit me. Thus, I recently purchased and prepared your 17 bean and barley soup for a frosty snow day's dinner and oh--it was perfect!

Here's what I did:

1 package Trader Joe's 17 Bean and Barley soup mix
32 oz box Trader Joe's chicken broth (low sodium)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 TBS organic olive oil
4 organic carrots, peeled and diced
1 tsp. garlic
1 small can green chiles
small onion, peeled and chopped
1.25 pounds Trader Joe's all-natural chicken breast
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. basil
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
organic sour cream
grated cheese (about 8 oz; I buy a brick and grate it myself)
Trader Joe's tortilla chips

Soak bean mix in water overnight. In the morning, rinse beans and add to slow cooker with chicken broth, bay leaf, tomatoes and basil and set to high. Heat skillet with olive oil. Add chicken, garlic, cumin, carrots, onion and chiles. Saute until chicken is browned. Add to slow cooker and cook 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

Serve topped with grated cheese and sour cream. I served nachos on the side: I placed white corn tortilla chips, covered in grated colby jack cheese, in the broiler for a minute or two until bubbly.

Very, very easy and very yummy. As the snow day wears on the aroma of the soup spreads through the house. Cozy.

1 comment:

michelemcp said...

Loved this one! Cracked me up, and made me hungry all at the same time.