Saturday, February 7, 2009

Do you miss Rice Krispy Treats?


RECIPE:  Crispy Rice Treats 
with Erewhon Organic Crispy Brown Rice cereal & Elyon Natural Vanilla Marshmallows

My Nature Kidz really missed those neat white squares of sugary, marshmallowy goodness.  But regular marshmallows are anything but natural, containing such ingredients as artificial colors (blue is used to make them more white) and flavors (such as vanillin, which is artificial vanilla derived from petroleum).  And that mainstream rice cereal, well, it *seems* benign but contains added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives.  

In order to avoid these issues, I picked up a package of natural marshmallows from my local health food store.  You can make your own homemade marshmallows, of course, but I wanted a shortcut.  All it takes is butter, rice cereal, and marshmallows. Here's the recipe:

1/4 cup (half stick) butter (I actually used more because I misread the instructions, and they turned out great)
1 pkg. Elyon marshmallows (4 cups)
5 cups Crispy Brown Rice cereal (I used Erewhon)

Melt the butter in medium saucepan.  Add marshmallows and stir constantly until melted and mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat and immediately stir in rice cereal.  Press into 9x13 pan or 9x9 pan if you're like me and prefer them thick.  Let cool and enjoy.

I really like this version, and even more I like that the cereal is whole grain brown rice based and has no secret ingredients.  Nature Dad approves, too!




No comments: