Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Truly Great Idea

(Photo from Papa Spuds website)
Papa Spuds Organics local produce delivery: Raleigh & Durham area.

This is a truly wonderful idea and is now available in my neck of the woods.  Papa Spuds is a food delivery service focusing on local produce.  It's a service you sign up for, and each week you use a set number of "credits" (20 or 40) for a set price ($22.99 or $40.99); there's a suggested selection of items, but you can customize your weekly delivery.  Items range from locally grown seasonal produce such as potatoes and turnips to bakery items, dried fruit and preserves, and even candy!  Many of the items are organic, and you have the option of selecting strictly locally grown items, or from those grown across the USA.

This concept appeals to me on so many levels: the first is my Lazy Mom impulse. It's far easier to click and choose and then sit around waiting for my items than it is to schlep to various groceries looking for fresh organic items.  The second is my eco-conscious tendency; I like that I can choose organic items and those which are local, thus saving resources on many different levels.  The third is a nutrition level: feeding my kidz what I know are the freshest, least pesticide-riddled items makes me feel like they are getting the best possible nutrition.  Also, I like that I can plan menus around what arrives each week: with today's technology, I can go onto sites like Allrecipes.com, plug in an ingredient, and get recipes right on my laptop!





No comments: