Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Humble Pine Cone

I brought some big pine cones when we moved from Florida.  Our home there had a number of long-leaf pines on the property which produced some really nice, 8-12 inch tall pine cones every year.  I discovered these in our attic when searching for holiday decorations, and realized that they would probably serve a better purpose as a craft and feeder for birds than just sitting around in my attic.

The peanut-butter-and-birdseed pine cone is an old, tried and true activity for kidz.  But, like many things in my crazy busy old life, it isn't something I'd done with my kidz in a number of years.  What better way to spend a cold winter's day?

If you've never made one, it's simple: just spread peanut butter (we used Whole Foods' 365 every day brand peanut butter, which is quite a bargain) on the pine cone, then pour bird seed (purchased at the local grocery or hardware store) over it--the seed should stick.  Kidz who are okay with messy hands can mash the seeds into the peanut butter.  Then just hang the pine cones from tree branches.  

My nature kidz loved doing this and also loved pouring the excess seed onto our deck and watching the winter birds snack--blue birds, cardinals, and more came right into the yard and onto the deck.

No comments: