Saturday, November 22, 2008

Review: Hoover Steamvac Deluxe


Price: $165 including shipping from Ace Hardware Outlet
Rating: B+

I know, it  probably seems weird to have a loud electrical appliance on a "natural" themed website.  But we still have to clean, and I have petz and kidz, so, well, 'nuff said.  Instead of spending a lot of money on having pros come in I decided to get a carpet cleaner and try it out.

Now, as you can see, the machine came with some liquid cleaning solution which I don't use (not only so much because it's not natural, which it isn't, but because using soap on carpets can cause dirt to be attracted to the carpet more so than without).  Instead, I use a mixture of about 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 very hot water.  Vinegar is said to clean stains, eliminate odors, and freshen laundry and fabrics.  And it's natural! 

Well, I really love this machine.  Not only does it spray the water/vinegar mixture and then suck it back out, it has 3 rotating brushes to really scrub the carpet.  Plus, there's an awesome hand tool that also has rotating brushes for upholstered furniture and stairs.  And in a 3 story house, I gotta lotta stairs.

Basically, the machine worked.  My carpet it pretty new but it still pulled a lot of dirt out of my highest-traffic room--the family room--and we don't wear shoes in our house!  So I'm thrilled to have this machine and plan to use it monthly.  Don't hold me to that, though, as I'm a rather mediocre housekeeper.

But why the B+?  Because the hand tool is an incredibly huge pain to attach.  You have to remove the waste-water tank, change a part out, and then reassemble the whole thing. It's certainly not as easy to use as your everyday vacuum cleaner.

I know what you're thinking: "vinegar?  Ewww! The smell!"  And, well, yes, it ain't so pretty at first.  But as soon as it dries the smell is gone, and the house is clean.  And fresh.  And naturally so.

No comments: